Creating a perfectly balanced meal is easier than you think, so do not over complicate it! A balanced meal is a meal that includes all macronutrients, and, according to a balanced, flexible approach, one macronutrient is not seen as superior over other macronutrients. The benefits of creating a balanced meal is that you feel fuller for longer and provide your body with all the nutrients and vitamins it requires to function.
What should you do when plating up?
Half of the plate should be composed of fibre
One quarter – protein
One quarter – complex carbohydrates
Healthy fats normally go into the cooking process (using olive oil, for example), or can be added on top (e.g. avocado, chia seeds) or in the form of a dressing
And, do not forget your herbs and spices! This is important as both of these categories count towards plant varieties which our gut bugs LOVE!
Still not sure what you should be putting on your plate? We have you covered!
- Leafy greens
- Non-starchy vegetables such as broccoli, courgettes, carrots, cauliflower, aubergine, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, onion, capsicum
- Berries and fruit
- Olives and olive oil (extra virgin)
- Avocado and avocado oil
- Tahini (sesame paste)
- Nuts and nut butters
- Dairy alternatives made with soy or nut milk or cream
- Starchy vegetables (sweet potato, parsnip, regular potato, beetroot and other root vegetables)
- Whole grains (brown rice, amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa, sorghum, etc)
- Pasta alternatives, such as those made of pulse flours (lentil pasta, chickpea pasta, pea pasta) or soba noodles made of 100% buckwheat, rice noodles
- Pulses (beans, chickpeas and lentils)
- Lean cuts of meat and poultry
- Fish and seafood
- Dairy (Greek or natural yoghurt, cottage cheese)
- Soy and soy derived products (tofu and tempeh, soya-based dairy alternatives) - soya dairy is the closest nutrition-wise to cow’s dairy, however as Kurami’s clients prefer less soy, improvisation and innovation is needed
If you struggle with adopting a balanced eating approach, or simply finding the time to cook, our signature subscription meal path is the perfect option. We do all the hard work so that you do not have to! By signing up to our weekly newsletter you can enjoy 10% off your first order.